If you haven’t already heard, we’re on a mission to create beautiful bakes this summer with our Bake It Beautiful campaign! For the next 7 weeks we’ll be sharing our favourite baking and cake decorating themes and week one’s theme is Icing!
This week we’re featuring our brand new range of Ready to Roll Icing – now available in Red, Pink and White at Wilko! You can use ready to roll icing to cover cakes as well as to create decorative shapes and toppers!
Creating this fabulous polka dot cake really couldn’t be easier thanks to our ready to roll icings, and we think it would be the perfect cake to serve at celebrations all year round!
You will need:
For the cake
• 200g Self Raising Flour
• 200g Softened Butter
• 200g Caster Sugar
• 4 eggs
• 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
• 1 tsp Baking Powder
For the filling
• 200g Softened Butter
• 400g Icing Sugar
• 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
• Cake Décor Ready to Roll Icing in White, Red and Pink
• Preheat your oven to 190C/Gas Mark 5
• Add the softened butter and caster sugar to a bowl and mix until well combined and fluffy
• Add the eggs and vanilla extract to the bowl and mix again until combined
• Gradually add the sifted flour and baking powder to your mixture and then continue mixing until you have a smooth batter
• Split the mixture equally between 3 cake pans, making sure to spread the mixture for a smooth finish
• Pop these in the oven for around 20 minutes
• For the filling, add the softened butter, icing sugar and vanilla extract to a bowl and mix until light and fluffy
• Spread the buttercream filling between each layer of your cake and use with jam to give it a delicious strawberry flavour
• Use the buttercream icing to create a crumb coat on your cake and then pop it in the fridge to set
• For the cake covering, sprinkle your work surface with a little icing sugar before kneading and rolling out the white ready to roll icing. Make sure the icing is large enough to cover your cake!
• Place the icing over the cake and smooth down the sides using your hands. Trim any excess icing with a knife
• Roll out the red and pink icings and cut out small circles for the polka dot shapes. You can also use our Silver Glitter Spray to add glitter to some polka dots for a truly dazzling effect!
• Use water or a little writing icing to stick the shapes to your polka dot cake and hold in place for a few seconds
You can also watch our super simple tutorial on how to create this beautiful polka dot cake below!
Ready to Roll Icing is now available at Wilko.