Bake to impress with these amazing marbled meringues which couldn’t be easier to colour with our range of super-strength Gel Food Colours!
You will need:
• 3 large organic egg whites, at room temperature
• 175g caster sugar
• Cake Décor Red Gel Food Colour
• Piping bag and nozzle
• Preheat your oven to 120C and line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
• Gently tip the egg whites into a large mixing bowl and use an electric whisk to beat the egg whites until they are light and fluffy.
• Continue beating with the electric whisk and add the caster sugar gradually. Beat the mixture for about 5 seconds between each addition, but try not to over-beat. The meringue mixture should be thick and glossy. A good test is to tip the bowl upside down with the mixture sticking to the bowl, but only try this if you’re brave enough!
• Prepare a piping bag and nozzle, and then turn the bag inside out. Use the Cake Décor Red Gel Food Colour to line the sides of the bag with food colouring, and then spoon the mixture into the piping bag and secure. Carefully pipe each meringue on the baking paper by creating a base and then quickly drawing the bag upwards to create points.
• Bake in the oven for 1 hour or until the meringues sound hollow when you tap the base – they should have a crunchy shell but not be too chewy inside. Leave the meringues to cool and then all that’s left to do is enjoy!
The full range of Gel Food Colours is now available in Morrisons and online at Sprinkles & Co.